Matt Shove is the founder and director of Ragged Mountain Guides. He has climbed, instructed and guided guests in mountain areas all over the United States since 2001. Matt’s work experience includes guiding and instruction in central Connecticut’s Traprock crags; the Gunks, Catskills and Adirondack Mountains in New York; New Hampshire’s Cannon Cliff, Cathedral and Whitehorse Ledges, Mt. Washington and Presidential Range; significant guided ascents in the Grand Tetons; Katahdin and Acadia National Park in Maine; western North Carolina’s Looking Glass Rock; classic technical ascents in the Grand Tetons; Alaska’s Wrangell-St. Elias and Chugach ranges; City of Rocks in Idaho; Kentucky’s Red River Gorge; the Needles of So. Dakota; and Wyoming’s Devil’s Tower, along with other significant ascents in the Cascade Range. He served as Technical Editor for the 2nd edition of Dave Fasulo’s acclaimed Climbing Self Rescue, published in June 2011.
Matt has conducted on site safety for film crews in mountain areas as well as in studios. He has conducted training programs for elite mountain warfare soldiers, and the US Coast Guard.
Matt holds the following credentials:
- BS in Adventure Education and Leadership
- AMGA Certified Rock Instructor
- AMGA Alpine Guide Course
- AMGA Ice Instructor Course
- AMGA Advanced Alpine Guide Course
- AMGA Alpine Guide Aspirant Exam
- AMGA Single Pitch Instructor Program Provider
- AMGA Climbing Wall Instructor Program Provider
- NFPA Compliant Rope Rescue Technician 1006/1670, mountain rescue focused
- NFPA Compliant Rope Rescue Specialist 1006/1670, mountain rescue focused
- NY State Guide Lic. #4218, Tier 1 Rock and Ice Climbing
- Wilderness First Responder
- AAIRE Level II Avalanche Certificate
- National Ski Patrol Alpine/Telemark qualified
- Member of the Certified Guides Federation
- Eagle Scout
Matt Shove is the local expert.
Matt lives outside of Hartford, Connecticut with his lovely wife Stacy, daughter Riley, and son Ryan.
He is proud to be generously supported by Core Third, Millet, Petzl/Sky Ambitions, Hyperlight Mountain Gear, and J Snare V Thread Tools.
Scott has been climbing rock and ice in and around the New England area for more than 10 years. In addition he has spent time in the North Cascades, Alaska Range, Sierras, and Tetons. He is an AMGA Certified Single Pitch Instructor and holds a certificate for AIARE Level 1 avalanche safety. Full time, he teaches Graphic Design and Photography in West Hartford, CT and is the head indoor and outdoor track coach.